Security Expert Witness Services

 


Security and Crime News

Return to news menu

Security guard to be tried for murder

December 23, 2005 - Sydney security guard Karen Brown will stand trial for the shooting murder of a man who bashed and robbed her.

Brown, 42, was on Friday ordered to face a NSW Supreme Court trial for the murder of 25-year-old William Aquilina outside the Moorebank Hotel on July 26 last year.

The Rooty Hill security guard claimed she was provoked by Mr Aquilina, who allegedly bashed her over the back of the head with knuckledusters before robbing her of $45,000.

Brown's lawyer Tony Bellanto, QC, said there had been a "quick and seamless flow of events" and it was a matter of seconds in which she lost her self-control.

But the prosecution argued Brown had "two distinct phases to gather herself", from the time she yelled at him to stop to when he got in the car, where he was shot.

Liverpool Local Court Magistrate Tony Marsden on Friday found while there may be a "strong case" of provocation, a jury would likely reject it as a defence.

Mr Marsden said the knuckledusters, which were produced as an exhibit during the committal hearing, served as "a powerful and physical reminder ... of the vicious nature of the weapon and its undoubted capacity to inflict serious injury".

However, such evidence would not necessarily lead to a finding of provocation or impact upon the prospect of conviction, he said.

"I'm satisfied that there's a reasonable prospect that a reasonable jury properly instructed would reject provocation," Mr Marsden told the court.

"I'm of the opinion having regard to all the evidence that there's a reasonable prospect that a reasonable jury properly instructed would convict the accused of the charge of murder."

Outside court, Brown said she'd expected the result but was "just really disappointed".

When asked whether she believed her legal team could clear her of the charge, she said: "I hope so, I really hope so".

Her husband, George Muratore, who trained his wife as a security guard, added: "When all the facts come out then the findings will show Karen did exactly as she was trained to - arrest a potentially lethal situation".

Mr Bellanto said the committal hearing was only the initial stage of the process.

"We're disappointed of course but ... we look forward to a trial when all the evidence will come out and we believe justice will prevail," Mr Bellanto told reporters.

Brown's father, Brian Brown, also expressed his confidence in the system.

"It's been a tough time for Karen but she's a strong girl," he said.

"We're not at all concerned about how this case is going to go. She'll get the right decision."

Brown was earlier this year granted access to $34,000 of the $107,000 she made selling her story to Channel 7 and The Sunday Telegraph to fund her legal defence.

Her bail was continued and she will stand trial on a date to be fixed.


Security guard shoots leg in early morning accident

December 29, 2005 - It wasn't a good start to the day for one Salt Lake security guard Wednesday.

The 24-year-old man was preparing for work about 7 a.m. when he accidently shot himself.
"The man was putting his (gun) into his holster when the trigger caught on a part of it and fired," said Salt Lake City police detective Robin Snyder.

The man was shot in the right upper hip and leg. The bullet somehow managed to end up logged in his wallet, she said.

The man knew his gun had fired but initially did not feel any pain or see any blood, Snyder said. As he started driving to work, however, he felt a sharp pain and then felt a small amount of blood. That's when he turned around and went home to tell his father what had happened and got a ride to the hospital.


Security guard held in assault

By Michele McPhee/ Boston Herald

December 22, 2005 - One of the three suspects - including a Tewksbury resident - in an alleged attack on a Dorchester man beaten at gunpoint by armed security guards will be allowed to keep his gun despite the charges, the chief of police that issued his firearm license said yesterday.

Michael Deluca, who was suspended as a Boston Police Department "special police officer" after he was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon in connection with the Sept. 29 incident, is licensed to carry by the Winchester Police Department.

Deluca’s father, Detective Paul Deluca, is in charge of issuing licenses to carry for the department.

On Dec. 14, Winchester police Chief Joseph N. Perritano said he has no intention of revoking the younger Deluca’s license, telling the Herald he does not consider the charge that the 25-year-old is facing to be a violent crime.

"Why would I pull it? I’m not concerned," Perritano said. "I don’t see where it’s a violent crime anyway."

Deluca is a security guard for Alliance Detective and Security Services, an Everett-based firm. He was with two other guards, Juan Gomez, 31, and David Wheaton, 38, when the trio attempted to arrest a Dorchester man for trespassing in front of his own home. That victim, Tariff Aziz, was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher when one of the guards screamed to "put the phone down or he would blow his head off," his attorney said.

The guards have lost their limited police powers, but continue to work for Alliance. Boston police revoked Gomez’s gun license upon his arrest. Tewksbury police revoked Wheaton’s license Thursday after the three men were arraigned in Roxbury criminal court.

Perritano said unless Deluca is convicted of the charges, he will be allowed to arm himself.

That infuriated Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association President Tom Nee, who pointed out that when Boston officers are charged with a crime, they relinquish their service revolvers immediately.

"If these security guards want to make believe they are Boston cops, they should at least be held to the same standard," Nee said. Matt Machera, who represents the Aziz family, agreed, saying: "After the way that Mr. Deluca acted he should never, ever be a police officer anywhere."


Security Guard Shoots Woman In Face At Greyhound Station

December 19, 2005 - ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Albuquerque police continued searching Monday for a man who was involved in an argument that led to a shooting at a Greyhound Bus station Sunday night.

Police said the man should be considered armed and dangerous.

Officials said that the man, another man and a woman got into a fight with two security guards at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday at the bus station on 2nd and Gold. They said the fight escalated, and the woman was shot in the face by one of the guards.

The two men and the woman fled in a white car, but the woman returned a few moments later in the car, authorities said. She was taken to University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was in stable condition Monday. Authorities were able to take one of the men into custody, but the second remained at large on Monday morning.

He was described as a Hispanic male in his 20's, with a thin mustache and wearing a white beanie.


Family Says Newport News Teen Killed By Security Guard Had Bright Future

Dec 12, 2005 - The family of a 16-year-old Newport News boy said the teen had a bright future. But on Saturday, his life came to an abrupt end when he was shot by a security guard.

It happened on Crescent Way at the Mariner's Landing Apartments off of Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News. Police say a security guard employed by the apartment complex pulled Raymond Cary over for a traffic stop. The teen lived in the complex. Investigators said a struggle started, and that's when the security guard pulled the trigger.

"I love him very much," cried Regina Cary, a sister of the victim.

She said she witnessed the shooting. She said the guard shot her brother four times.

"I had to see him shoot my brother and run," she said. "The security guard ran."

The family said Raymond did not have a gun. They said the security guard pulled Raymond over for playing his music too loudly. They do not know how it escalated into a struggle. Michelle Barnes, the victim's other sister, said the apartment complex hired the guards to keep the violence out of the neighborhood. She said she doesn't understand why they picked on her brother.

"This is not what security is supposed to do," said Michelle Barnes. "It's supposed to serve and protect. Not murder young children."

The family said Raymond was a dreamer. He liked to play football, but his passion was drawing. They shared with us his sketch book. Raymond had filled the pages with drawings of cars and crosses. Michelle said he was the kind of guy who always put family first.

"He was always outgoing. Always outgoing," said Michelle. "Nothing got him down. I mean nothing."

The family thinks the security guard should be liable for taking Raymond's life.

"I want the one who shot him to be brought to justice," said Regina. "He does not deserve to work and doesn't deserve to hold a gun anymore."

We could not reach any of the managers at the apartment complex. The security guard agency could not be reached for contact.


MALL SECURITY GUARD HELD TO ANSWER FOR SEXUAL BATTERY, KIDNAPPING.

11/29/05 - SANTA ROSA (BCN) A Santa Rosa mall security guard was held to answer this morning to charges of kidnapping to commit a sexual assault, sexual battery and false imprisonment of a mall employee in September.

After a preliminary hearing in Sonoma County Superior Court, 19-year-old Patrick Gilles Murphy was ordered to stand trial on the charges involving a 20-year-old female employee of the Santa Rosa Plaza on Sept. 1.

Santa Rosa police Detective Bradley Conners testified the woman said Murphy put a hand over her mouth, grabbed her right hand and left arm and dragged her down a dimly lit hallway then rubbed the outside of her clothing near her genital area.

The woman broke free after she told Murphy a delivery driver would be looking for her and then called police on her cell phone, Conners said.

Conners said Murphy, a guard with IPC Security, told him in an interview at the police station that the woman rushed past him without identifying herself as a mall employee after he let her into the mall around 6:30 a.m. Murphy said he thought the woman was a trespasser and he was taking her to the security office, Conners said.

Murphy admitted later in the interview that he was angry at the woman because she barged past him and he "lost control of the situation,'' Conners said. Murphy also then admitted he put his hand over the woman's mouth and groped her vaginal area, Conners said.

Defense attorney Jack Montgomery argued there is no evidence Murphy kidnapped the woman with the intent to commit a sexual assault. Judge Dean Beaupre said that issue would be decided by a jury and he held Murphy to answer on all three charges.

Murphy will re-enter pleas to the allegations on Dec. 13.


Airport security guard banished


November 17, 2005 - A Kahului Airport security guard videotaped making threatening comments to an airline employee has been banned from working on state land and facilities, the state Department of Transportation announced yesterday.

The decision was made after a review of Sunday's incident at Kahului Airport between a Wackenhut Corp. security guard and an employee of Pacific Wings, a small interisland carrier.

"The guard's words and actions were completely unacceptable and uncalled for," said Brian Sekiguchi, DOT deputy director of airports. "They are not in line with the level of service that the state and the public expects and deserves. The safety of the public and the people who work at the airport is a top priority for the administration and this type of behavior will not be tolerated."

The DOT also ordered Wackenhut to reassess its service and to increase worker conduct training.

Wackenhut told state officials it would comply with the DOT orders. Company officials said the guard was suspended, the DOT statement said.


Security guard fired for seeing ghosts

14 November 2005 - Des Moines, Iowa: A judge has ruled that a former security guard who was fired for seeing ghosts cannot be denied unemployment benefits.

According to a court in Des Moines, Iowa, the former guard's allegation of apparitions does not constitute misconduct.

The issue started on September 11, when Wade Gallegos alerted his supervisor at Neighbourhood Patrol of Urbandale that ghosts were haunting an area he was guarding.

The supervisor arrived at the scene, and Mr Gallegos showed him where the ghosts were still apparently standing. The supervisor said he saw nothing and fired Mr Gallegos five hours later. The company found no signs of drug use or alcohol.

Neighborhood Patrol challenged Mr Gallegos' application for unemployment benefits, arguing he was guilty of misconduct.

"Such beliefs do render the claimant unfit to act as a security guard," Judge Ken Renegar ruled.

However, seeing ghosts is not the type of misconduct that can disqualify Mr Gallegos from receiving benefits, he said.


Licensing, training now mandatory for security guards

Dec. 15, 2005 - CANADIAN PRESS - Security guards and private investigators in Ontario have new rules for training standards.

Legislation, called the Private Security and Investigative Services Act, has been passed which makes licensing and training mandatory for all security personnel.

It also sets standards for uniforms and equipment to reduce confusion between security and police services.

Mandatory licensing for security guards was a key recommendation of a coroner's jury in April 2004.

The jury looked into the death of Patrick Shand, who died from restraint asphyxia after being held face down and handcuffed at a Toronto grocery store.

Community Safety Minister Monte Kwinter says the changes are designed to better protect Ontarians.

"Security guards and others offering protection services to Ontarians should be properly licensed, trained and equipped," Kwinter said in a release.

"These measures will increase the professionalism of the industry."


SEIU scores in drive to organize security guards

by Tom Fredrickson
December 06, 2005 - The Service Employees International Union was named to represent workers at the world’s biggest security firm, scoring a major victory in the union's efforts to organize the city's 60,000 security guards.

SEIU Local 32BJ said today said an independent arbitrator certified a vote making it the bargaining representative for 1,100 area employees of Burns International Security Services, a subsidiary of Securitas, the world’s largest security firm. The members from Burns lift the number of guards SEIU represents across the city to about 2,600 from 1,500.


Security guard shoots manager, kills self

21 October 2005 - MUMBAI – A security guard yesterday shot at his manager in anger at the UCO Bank branch in the city's busy financial district of Nariman Point, before killing himself with his service rifle.


According to police sources, the guard, R.S. Jadhav, entered the cabin of Pradeep Prakash, the manager, and got into an argument.

He then shot the manager with his service rifle, hurting him seriously.

Jadhav then turned the weapon himself and fired. Both were rushed to a hospital. Jadhav, however, succumbed to his wounds.

The manager was seriously wounded and was being treated at a hospital.


Convicted Security Officer Uncertified

Press Release: NZ Security Officers Association

6 December 2005 - A security officer who received an eight-month jail sentence for burglary did not hold a current Certificate of Approval as required by law, the New Zealand Security Officers Association reported today.

Jeremy George Evan McLaughlin, a 27 year old security officer received an eight-month sentence in the Christchurch District Court this week after being found guilty of using pin numbers for burglar alarms that he was entrusted with in the course of his employment with a security monitoring company to burgle a property. He was also ordered to pay reparation of $1484 to the victim, and a further $500 to the security company who had previously employed him for emotional harm.

Judge Stephen Erber commented on the seriousness of the offence by pointing out that it was a breach of trust by someone who had been entrusted to defend a house. He also warned the security industry that the courts would deal with breaches of this kind seriously.

The Office of the Registrar of Private Investigators and Security Guards told the New Zealand Security Officers Association that McLaughlin did not hold a Certificate of Approval as required by law under the Private Investigators and Security Guards Act 1974.

The law requires all people employed in the business of monitoring burglar alarms on property they do not own or occupy to hold a Certificate of Approval. Any employer in this line of work who fails to ensure certification of employees or anyone working for such a business while uncertified can be fined $2000.

A spokesperson for the New Zealand Security Officers Association said that it was ironic that while a judge promised to get tough on breaches committed by security guards, the police refuse to prosecute security companies who do not certify their guards.

“Instead of these companies receiving $500 for emotional harm, they should be made to pay fines for non-compliance of security licensing laws. This however is not going to happen unless the police start enforcing the law,” he said.


 

Security Questions?

For more information, assistance, or a free consultation, Call our office at
(912) 441-2059, or

J. R. Roberts
Security Strategies
PO Box 279
Balsam, North Carolina
28707

(912) 441-2059

 


© J. R. Roberts, Security Strategies